[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.16.1″]
I cried for at least 45 minutes while watching The Hate U Give. This movie portrays a black family traumatized when an unarmed black teen is shot and killed by a police officer. The story explored the dual existence of black people in the US. The black person who does the right thing while going to school or work vs. the black person who is seething underneath the facade-ready to violently defend themselves, their lives, and their community.
The Hate U Give Will Stir Something Inside of You
Generally speaking, I’m not a crier. But, while watching this movie there were times when it didn’t feel like a movie. There were times as I sat in the theater and I sensed the spirits of Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Sandra Bland, and even Trayvon Martin. For those of us who are already woke, this movie was a bullhorn to the eardrum. The film’s loudness made me cry.
Nonetheless, I still wanted to give 5 reasons why every American should watch The Hate U Give.
- Parents of black children should watch this movie. The Hate U Give provides assistance in explaining how black youth should react when they are approached and/or stopped by police.
- Police officers should watch this movie. If police officers are struggling with the resentment that black communities feel toward police, The Hate U Give will provide a roadmap for understanding.
- People who don’t understand why black folks march should see this movie. If you’re someone who doesn’t understand why black people march when they feel injustices have occurred, this film will connect the dots from injustice to community outrage.
- People who don’t understand the Black Lives Matter movement should watch this movie. If you’re someone who doesn’t understand why black people say, “Black Lives Matter,” this movie will be like reading a dictionary on the movement.
- Finally, Black creatives should watch this movie. If you are a creative and you need to be motivated to tell your story, The Hate U Give will inspire you to pick up the pen and get going.
Every now and then there are movies that hit a cultural nerve or provide a social viewpoint so distinct that every person of every age needs to watch. The Hate U Give is that movie. Go. See It. Immediately.